The Foundation, rooted in the Catholic and fraternal values of stewardship, service, and concern for others, seeks to strengthen Catholic Financial Life, our church, and society by:
- Providing resources to advance the mission of Catholic parishes and organizations,
- Supporting the charitable outreach of our branches,
- Educating members about philanthropy and planned giving, and
- Providing financial vehicles to help members accomplish their philanthropic objectives.
Fulfilling the Mission
The Foundation was formed in 2006 as a benefit to Catholic Financial Life members. As stated in the Foundation’s mission statement, we make donations to benefit Catholic parishes and organizations, and we help members to accomplish their philanthropic objectives in one of two ways:
- By helping them to establish their own funds within the foundation to benefit a specific school or church; or
- By providing already established funds they can make donations to in order to benefit specific types of charities or charitable causes.
Through the Catholic Financial Life Foundation, $250,000 is awarded annually to nearly 1,000 families in educational scholarships.
The Foundation has several different types of funds within it.
The unrestricted fund allows the Foundation’s Board of Directors to make grants to qualified organizations that fit within the Foundation’s mission. The Foundation currently is not making grants from unrestricted funds.
Field of interest funds are funds from which donations benefit a specific cause. Currently, the Foundation has two of these funds: one benefiting seminarians and the other benefiting students. Grants made from these funds are used only for these purposes.
A donor-advised fund allows the donor to recommend organizations as beneficiaries to the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
A donor-designated fund allows the donor to designate the beneficiary such as a particular school or church.
To learn more about the Catholic Financial Life Foundation, contact John Borgen at 800-927-2547, ext. 6608 or 414-278-6608.